Welcome to our Koupon News Update series, where we share news and trends that are shaping the convenience store industry! In this week's update, learn about the upcoming Future of Digital Promotions in C-Store event, 7-Eleven's new test concept, and Aldi's dive into small-format.
C-Store Retailer Trends
Pre-Register for The Future of Digital Promotions in C-Store in Atlanta on Oct. 1
- Pre-register for the 2nd Annual Future of Digital Promotions in C-Store and be the first to know event details and participating sponsors.
- Last year, Koupon Media and other sponsors launched The Future of Digital Promotions in C-Store event that had over 100 attendees, lightning talks about growing sales in c-store, and debates about technology that will advance the industry.
- Insight: C-store retailers and CPG brands attending NACS should check out this event to learn from the industry's leading companies and network with peers.
Yesway & Jones Soda Partner on Custom-Label Variety
- Yesway and Jones Soda Co. have joined forces to launch Yesway Green Apple Jones Soda, a new custom-label variety available now at all Yesway convenience stores.
- "We couldn't be more excited about partnering with Jones Soda Co., a brand whose fun and flavorful personality aligns so well with Yesway's, to bring this exclusive new product to our customers," said Derek Gaskins, senior vice president of merchandising and procurement for Yesway. "We have many dedicated Jones Soda fans among our customers, and we hope they'll enjoy the special limited-time offer we have in place to mark the launch of new Yesway Green Apple Jones Soda — 2 Jones Sodas (any flavor) for $2.50. Come in and try them all!
- Insight: C-store retailers and CPG brands should create more opportunities to work together — Yesway and Jones Soda are leading the pack with this new partnership.
Instagram Launches Shopping Checkout
- Instagram is opening a whole new revenue stream. Now the 130 million people who tap Instagram’s product tags on shopping posts will be able to buy those items without leaving the app, thanks to stored payment info. “Checkout with Instagram” launches today in the U.S. with more than 20 top brands, including Adidas, Kylie Cosmetics and Warby Parker, which will no longer have to direct customers to their websites to make a purchase.
- Instagram’s ad business could also get a boost as Checkout could convince brands that the social network produces better return on investment because there are fewer steps before purchase. For now, only organic posts from the launch partner merchants will feature Checkout buttons, and ads aren’t eligible.
- Insight: Instagram is launching new and innovative ways to engage customers within the platform — retailers should explore methods of engaging users within loyalty applications using CPG-funded content.
7-Eleven Opening Six Test Stores to Try Out New Concepts
- The latest 7-Eleven opened March 4 and features a Laredo Taco Co. restaurant, and a café serving coffee drinks, made-to-order smoothies and shakes, among other beverage offerings. In addition, the store includes a bar with wine and craft beer on tap. Customers can order adult beverages to consume on-site or in growlers to go.
- According to the news report, 7-Eleven will use the concept stores to develop brands and ideas. Another Texas concept store is slated to open in Prosper.
- Insight: 7-Eleven is testing a new concept that offers more than just an on-the-go purchase. This could represent the transition away from the traditional c-store model.
Paytronix Reports Record 38 Percent Year-Over-Year Growth
- Paytronix Systems, Inc., the most impactful guest experience and payment platform, announced its 38 percent year-over-year growth, measured in committed revenue booked. Traffic on the Paytronix Platform continues to build as new restaurant and convenience store brands are attracted to its high reliability, comprehensive features set, and ability to leverage the latest e-commerce trends.
- Paytronix continues to innovate around customer preferences and market demand, bolstering its one-to-one marketing technology that enables brands to customize outreach and offerings to uniquely fit individual customer profiles. As restaurants and convenience store marketers continue to rely on these strategies, Paytronix technology has the potential to help brands transform the way they engage with their target audience.
- Insight: Koupon Media's partner, Paytronix, continues to grow within the convenience store industry as retailers focus more and more on driving loyalty.
Aldi Dives into Small-Format Space
- Aldi has opened its first Aldi Local store in southwest London this week, causing speculation that the brand is stepping into the convenience store arena. The Aldi Local store has 300 fewer products than in its typical large stores—down from 1,800 or 1,500 items—and measures 6,000 square feet, or half the size of its average footprint.
- An Aldi spokeswoman told Yahoo Finance UK that “this is not a move into convenience retailing,” saying that the new name aims to make customers aware of the different store sizes. “The main difference is that it doesn’t sell bulkier items that shoppers would have difficulty transporting without a car.”
- Insight: The world's largest grocery chains continue to explore small-format concepts.